Pass along a news tip by clicking HERE.

Monday, August 13, 2007

Ohiosphere Tale Of The Day (VI): No Cakewalks Without Wheels

CINCINNATI (TDB) -- Kevin LeMaster is usually thinking about Building Cincinnati. Now he's put some serious shoe leather into taking a look at what life is like in the city for people without cars, or who don't drive. He's found an online tool that calculates a score for urban neighborhoods based on how easy, or difficult, its is to accomplish things by moving on foot.

Not surprisingly, life can be hard for those without ignition keys to our auto-obsessed culture. Thanks to Kevin I learned that the three Cincinnati neighborhoods I have inhabited -- Oakley, Hyde Park and Pleasant Ridge -- rate pretty high on the walkability score. His chart reflects what drew me to all three in the first place -- I could take a stroll to the beer joint or barbershop. I have, and still do.

2 comments:

  1. The best part is the commenter who seems to have a problem with people who like to walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed somebody complaining. Maybe that person owns a Chrysler dealership....

    ReplyDelete