Pass along a news tip by clicking HERE.

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Hamilton County Jail Sales Tax Hike: The F-Bomb Mushrooms As An Issue

CINCINNATI (TDB) -- Jason Gloyd is the spokesman for a Cincinnati citizens group that is campaigning against a $700 million plus tax hike for a new jail and other criminal justice programs. There is word that a high-ranking county law enforcement official called Gloyd a "f---ing idiot" to his face earlier this week after a Cincinnati debate over the proposed sales tax increase, which is on the Nov. 6 ballot. The Republican and Democratic parties, along with many local elected officials, are backing the tax. Opponents include Hamilton County Commissioner Pat DeWine, son of former U.S. Sen. Mike DeWine, and the local NAACP branch.

No witnesses have come forward yet to say they saw or overheard what happened, but Gloyd has been pushing the story about being blasted by the F-bomb, a story fanned by the Whistleblower, an online newsletter . The Whistleblower often scoops the local blogs and newspapers, which haven't yet reported Gloyd's account of a verbal assault. Here's an e-mail Gloyd sent to the county in complaint:

"I am writing to express my displeasure with how you verbally accosted me, out of the blue, last evening at the Price Hill Civil Club. You used absolutely vile language that has no place in a decent society. I don't understand how people can disagree on an important issue without such venom. I care very deeply about the city and county I've lived in most of my life and strong feel this tax cannot be absorbed by the tax payers. We will lost more jobs and more residents, and then we will need bigger jails since it will just be criminals left. I respect and understand the Sheriff's arguments, but this is a seriously flawed plan that this community cannot afford. I don't know if you were attempting to intimidate me, or you just don't like me, but I expected far more from the highest ranking . . . in the county. I would hope that in the future you would either show me decent courtesy as a human being, or just ignore me all together."

No comments:

Post a Comment